top of page
  • Writer's pictureAttorney Kevin Parker

Your ex-spouse isn't following the divorce order. Now what?

Believe it or not, ex-spouses frequently do not follow the provisions of the court's divorce decree or incorporated divorce settlement agreement. But court orders mean something and must be followed or the violator risks being held in contempt, fined, and even put in jail.

Court orders and judgments requiring the payment of child support, visitation, alimony, attorney's fees, or transfer of property may be enforced against the offending party by bringing an action for contempt. An action for contempt is simply a civil proceeding to compel a party to comply with a court order.

As with all legal matters, contempt actions can be tricky. A party bringing a contempt action must ensure that all elements of contempt are satisfied, and specific procedures must be followed.

Our family law and divorce attorney in Griffin helps clients with contempt issues in Spalding, Fayette, Pike, Upson, Clayton, and other counties throughout the state of Georgia. If you're tired of dealing with an ex-spouse who simply won't honor what they agreed or were ordered to do, then call us to schedule a free consultation with Attorney Kevin Parker.

We're here to help!

13 views0 comments


Commenting has been turned off.
bottom of page